The Anambra State Government has banned individuals and groups from organising parallel New Yam Festival celebrations in communities across the state.

The directive was issued by the Ministry of Local Government and Community Affairs in a statement signed by the Commissioner, Chief Vin Ezeaka, and made available to journalists on Tuesday in Awka.
According to the commissioner, the government had observed that some individuals and groups were organising separate New Yam Festival celebrations in their communities, either before or on the same date scheduled by traditional rulers.
Ezeaka said the practice was against the customs and traditions of the people and could create tension and threaten peace in the affected communities.
He explained that the state government had previously communicated its position on the matter through letters sent to Presidents-General and traditional rulers across the state.
The commissioner said allowing individuals or groups to organise parallel celebrations could amount to usurping the traditional responsibilities of royal fathers.
He warned that such activities could also create room for a breakdown of law and order.
The government therefore directed that, with immediate effect, no individual or group should organise the New Yam Festival, Iwa Ji, Iri Ji or any similar celebration before the traditional rulers or on the same date as the traditional ceremony.
The state government urged communities to respect the directive and uphold the customs, traditions and peaceful coexistence of the people.





