By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
HintPointNewsHintPointNews
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Columns
    • Public Opinion
  • Fact Check
  • Lifestyle
  • More
    • Bet of the Day
    • Men & Women of the Month
    • Investigations
    • Interviews
Reading: Cross River governor pledges support for SPAR fire victims
Share
Font ResizerAa
HintPointNewsHintPointNews
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Public Opinion
  • Fact Check
  • Lifestyle
  • Bet of the Day
Search
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Fact Check
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Columns
    • Public Opinion
  • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Entertainment
    • Health
  • More
    • Bet of the Day
    • Men & Women of the Month
    • Investigations
    • Interviews
Follow US
© 2026 HintPointNews.com. All rights reserved.
HintPointNews > Blog > News > Cross River governor pledges support for SPAR fire victims
News

Cross River governor pledges support for SPAR fire victims

Yetunde
Last updated: August 23, 2026 3:22 pm
Yetunde
Published: August 23, 2026
Share
SHARE

Governor Bassey Otu of Cross River State has assured victims of the fire outbreak that ravaged a section of the SPAR shopping complex in Calabar of the state government’s full support, promising immediate intervention to mitigate the impact of the incident and facilitate the recovery of affected businesses.

Otu disclosed this on Saturday when he visited the scene of the incident to assess the extent of the damage, commiserate with the management and traders affected by the fire, and reassure them that the government would not abandon them at a moment of such distress.

Represented by his deputy, Peter Odey, he expressed deep concern about the unfortunate incident, assuring the affected victims of government support and interventions to calm the situation.

He said, “We are here to identify with the management, the traders and everyone who has been affected, and to assure them that they are not alone at this difficult moment.”

The governor, who disclosed that he had interacted with the management of the shopping complex, said the exact cause of the fire was yet to be established, although preliminary indications suggested a possible electrical fault.

“We have spoken with the management, but at this stage, we cannot conclusively say what caused the fire. There are indications that it may have been electrical, but we must allow the appropriate authorities to conduct their investigations before arriving at a definitive conclusion,” he explained.

The governor further disclosed that the Director-General of the Cross River State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) had already commenced arrangements to assess the damage and identify the immediate needs of those affected.

“The Director-General of SEMA is already on the matter. The agency will carry out a proper assessment of the damage, identify the victims and establish the areas where immediate relief is required,” he said.

According to him, the state government would go beyond merely assessing the damage by taking practical steps to assist affected businesses to recover from the devastating incident.

“Our objective is not just to come here, sympathise with the victims and leave. We want to see how government can support them to get back on their feet. We will provide the necessary support within the capacity of government to ensure that the affected businesses can resume operations as soon as reasonably possible,” he emphasised.

The governor stressed that the government would also examine the circumstances surrounding the incident with a view to preventing a recurrence, saying, “We will look at what happened, identify the gaps and take appropriate measures to ensure that an incident of this nature does not happen again.”

Otu also commended the Cross River State Fire Service for its prompt response, noting that the agency had been adequately equipped by the state government to respond to emergencies.

“I want to commend the Cross River State Fire Service. They responded promptly and professionally to this emergency. This is why it is important for us to continue investing in our emergency-response institutions. When disaster strikes, every minute matters.”

Burna Boy, Tems Earn 2026 MTV VMAs Nominations
Adeleke Declare Support For APC, Reaffirms Support for Tinubu’s 2027
Tinubu Approves Up to 80% Salary Increase for Nigerian Armed Forces Personnel
10 Things You Should Know About Taiwo Hassan ‘Ogogo’
Tinubu Celebrates Yayi, Hails His Emergence as Ogun APC Governorship Candidate
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Threads Email Copy Link Print
What do you think?
Love0
Happy0
Wink0
Sad0
Surprise0
Angry0
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
TelegramFollow

Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!
Popular News
News

APC Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council, Names Yari DG, Uzodimma Secretary

Abeeb Atanda
Abeeb Atanda
August 22, 2026
Just In: Osun Accord Party Cancels Grand Finale Campaign
EFCC Explains Freeze on Osun Government Accounts, Alleges N11bn Funds Probe
Osogbo–Iwo–Ibadan Road Reconstruction Flag-Off Set for August 6
Reactions As Osun Governorship Debate Is Cancelled
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

You Might Also Like

InvestigationsNews

JUST IN: DSS Frees Carpenter Arrested Over Oyo School Abduction, Pays N3m Compensation

August 11, 2026
News

Akwa Ibom unveils mass empowerment plan for rural women 

August 21, 2026
InvestigationsNews

Police Arrest 10 Over Alleged Attempted Murder, Invasion of Ire Poly

August 13, 2026
NewsUncategorized

Mali sentences broadcaster and junta critic to seven years in prison.

August 17, 2026

Categories

  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Editorial
  • Fact Check
  • Columns
  • Bet of the Day
  • Men and Women of the Month

About US

HintPoint News delivers accurate news updates, factual analysis, and engaging public opinions. From checking misinformation to breaking down daily trends, we bring you the clarity that matters.
Site Links
  • Contact
  • Advertise With Us
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • Editorial Policy
  • Ethics & Standards
Quick Links
  • My Bookmark
  • InterestsNew
  • Contact Us

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

© 2026 HintPointNews.com. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?